The Congregation of St. Gemma Sisters of Dodoma has a History of time, since 1947. Kondoa was the first Generalate House with its first Superior General Sr. Columba Zogno. In 1958 Lumuma became a formation centre and later a generalate house of the congregation. Sr Gemma Ichuka moved to Lumuma changing the headquarters. Once more according to development growth, signs of times, circumstance and needs, in 1975 the generalate moved again from Lumuma to Dodoma where it is headquarters of the Diocese, in which, we are the local Diocesan congregation.
At the beginning of St Gemma Congregation, Sr. Columba Zogno, from Misericordia Sisters, was appointed Superior General, while Sr. Basiliana Visentini and Guliana Lavarda were her Councilors and formatters. The missionaries did the wonderful work till 1967 when the Congregation held for the first time, a general chapter and election Chapter for a new Mother General. For the first time in history of the Congregation we began to lead ourselves. Mother Gemma Ichuka lead the Congregation for twelve years (1967-1979). This was the beginning of the real history of the St Gemma Galgani Sisters of Dodoma.
The Late Mother Gemma Ichuka who lead the Congregation for twelve years
(1967-1979). With a high degree of tolerance our Mother persevered so many hardships, but with her great faith, humility and love to everyone.
She died peacefully in 22 December 1982. May her soul rest in peace. Amen!
In the fourth general chapter Sr. Matilde Dinu was elected mother general for a term of Six years ( 1985 – 1991).
Sr. Florencia Mbeyu
Membership and Apostolate
St Gemma Sisters belong to the Diocese of Dodoma in other words it is of Diocesan Right. Members are recruited mainly from Dodoma and outside. Members are from different ethnic groups in Tanzania. The average growth is of 7 Sisters a year.
From 1947 to 2013, we have a total of 476 Sisters. The existence of the Congregation is in seven Dioceses in Tanzania- Dodoma, Kondoa, Singida, Arusha, Morogoro, Tanga and Dar-es-salaam. We also work as missionaries in Brescia Italy.
Evangelization was and still will ever be a target of Our Congregation. Members therefore engage in development matters by teaching both religious and secular education.